Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail
The Tsitsikamma Trail journeys through extensive indigenous forest and mountain fynbos. The ancient river gorges and abundant rivers and streams along this hiking trail in the Tsitsikamma will remind you of the creative power of water and the origins of the word Tsitsikamma. Baboon, vervet monkey, large-spotted genet, bushpig and bushbuck are often encountered along the route and at overnight huts. Leopard, caracal, honey badger and blue duiker also occur, but are seldom seen. The forests provide ideal habitat for lesser seen bird species, such as rameron pigeon, narina trogon, sombre bulbul, forest buzzard, and colourful sunbirds and flycatchers. The fynbos harbours elusive endemics such as Victorins warbler, protea
canary and the Cape siskin.
Hiking Trail Through the Tsitsikamma Mountains
The Tsitsikamma Mountain Trail begins in Natures Valley and ends 60km further at either the Storms River Bridge or Storms River Village. This is a six day unidirectional trail that takes hikers thought the heart of the Tsitsikamma Mountains. Each overnight hut has its own unique access route with safe parking and makes shorter variations of the trail possible. You also have the option of a 2, 3, 4 or 5 days trail.
Hiking Trail in South Africa with Equipment Porterage
The Tsitsikamma Mountain Trail offers optional equipment porterage. Your equipment can now be transported between the overnight huts on this spectacular hiking trail in South Africa. Other activities permitted include vehicular and mountain bike access to certain overnight huts and informative guided day walks
Hiking Trail Offering Overnight Accommodation
The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail is a hiking trail offering comfortable overnight accommodation. The accommodation facilities have been upgraded to an excellent standard and you can truly enjoy magnificent views and relax in comfort at each of the five overnight huts. Route Description and Distances Between Overnight Huts:
- Day 1: Nature`s Valley – Kalander Hut – 3,6 km +- 1 hour 30 minutes
- Day 2: Kalander – Blaawkrans Hut – 13,5 km +- 6 hours
- Day 3: Blaawkrans – Keurbos Hut – 13,4 km +- 6 hours
- Day 4: Keurbos – Heuningbos Hut – 13,4 km +- 6 hours
- Day 5: Heuningbos – Sleepkloof Hut – 13,9 km +- 7 hours
- Day 6: Sleepkloof Hut – Paul Sauer Bridge – 3,2 km +- 1 hour
or Sleepkloof Hut – Storms River Village – 5,5 km +- 2 hours
- Our tariffs are R135,00 per person per day for overnighting at any of the five huts. (There are special rates for group and school bookings during off-peak times as well).
- A day hike along the Tsitsikamma Trail without overnighting will cost R30,00 per person per day.
- Should you wish your groups` equipment to be transported between overnight huts the cost will be R800,00 per hut for the first 6 people and R1100,00 for 7 – 12 persons. (Maximum group size 12 per hut per day).