The Old Oak Tree
The Old Oak Tree in George
Legend has it that the Old Oak Tree in George was planted by Adriaan van Kervel, first magistrate of George after he took office here with the official founding of George on the 23rd of April 1811.
George in the Garden Route
George, the Administative Capital of the Garden Route, was the first town founded after the second British occupation of the Cape, and named after the reigning British monarch, George III.
There is a chain embedded in the trunk of the tree and this has led to many stories about a “Slave Exchange” being held under the leafy canopy. The common presumption is that slaves were chained to the tree, which was on the site of Georges first jail. This was replaced by the current Info office, formerly the King Edward VII Public Library, designed by Oudtshoorn architect Charles Bullock and built in 1905.